Black Jersey Giant chickens out rival many other breeds as a meat bird. The Black Jersey Giant was originally developed to be a meat bird, however, a large amount of time is required before they reach their full size. Jersey Giants are a good large brown egg layer and are known for laying well through the winter. They are a docile breed and are very robust and cold hardy making them a great choice for your flock. They are an excellent roasting bird when fully mature. The hens tend to lay more eggs than those of other heavy breeds. Their black plumage has a beautiful green sheen, the eyes are dark brown and shanks and toes black.
We offer this chicken breed in a production line and not a show line. Newbie notes: There are some white feathers in their 1st and 2nd stage feathering which is normal but by the 6th month they are solid black feathers.
Approx 200 -260 Lg Brown Eggs/Yr | Mature WT: Male 13#, Female 10#
- Poultry Show Class: American Class
- Weights: Hen—-10 lbs Rooster——13 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Primary production, Egg Laying & Pet/Secondary meat source
- Color of Egg Shell: Brown
- Egg Production: 200-260 eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 80-85%
- Fertility Percentage: 65-80%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 9 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: United States, New Jersey
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the Standard of Perfection
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed.
Available February – July
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
Minimums – Not Sexed = 3
Female = 3
Male = 1
Total of 3 birds to ship
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
A small order fee ($25.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.