Black Jersey Giant chickens out rival many other breeds as a meat bird. The Black Jersey Giant was originally developed to be a meat bird, however, a large amount of time is required before they reach their full size. Jersey Giants are a good large brown egg layer and are known for laying well through the winter. They are a docile breed and are very robust and cold hardy making them a great choice for your flock. They are an excellent roasting bird when fully mature. The hens tend to lay more eggs than those of other heavy breeds. Their black plumage has a beautiful green sheen, the eyes are dark brown and shanks and toes black.
We offer this chicken breed in a production line and not a show line.
Approx 200 -260 Lg Brown Eggs/Yr | WT: Male 13#, Female 10#
- Poultry Show Class: American Class
- Weights: Hen: 10 lbs Rooster: 13 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Production, Eggs & Meat
- Color of Egg Shell: Brown
- Egg Production: 200-260 eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium
- Temperament: Docile
- Broody: Setter
- Country of Origin: United States, New Jersey
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the Standard of Perfection
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed.
Please note that our online availability is only updated once a week. We allow you to select a desired hatch week but those dates are NOT guaranteed. Actual ship dates may vary depending on the breeds and quantities selected.