Brown Leghorn chickens are very athletic, mature early, are hardy, non-sitters and lay very nice large/X large white eggs. Leghorns are good layers of white eggs, laying an average of 280 per year and sometimes reaching 300–320. They have a good feed-to-egg conversion ratio. This chicken breed is great for free range chicken farming or organic free range chicken eggs. Leghorns rarely exhibit broodiness and are thus well suited for uninterrupted egg laying. The Leghorn is a light breed that matures quickly and is not considered a viable meat producer. Leghorns are active and efficient foragers and are one of the best for free range chickens that can avoid predators. They typically avoid human contact and tend to be nervous and flighty. The Brown Leghorn chicken breed is one of many great heritage chicken breeds we have for sale.
Approx. 260-300 Lg Brown Eggs/Yr | Mature WT: Males 6# & Females 4 1/2#
- Poultry Show Class: Mediterranean Class
- Weights: Hen ——-4 1/2 lbs Rooster—-6 lb
- Purpose and Type: Egg Laying; Production
- Color of Egg Shell: White
- Egg Production: 260-300 eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium-Large
- Temperament: Very Active
- Gender Accuracy: 80-85%
- Fertility Percentage: 60-75%
- Broody: Non Setter
- Mating Ratio: 12 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 4 to 8 feet
- Country of Origin: Italy
- APA: Yes, Recognized by American Standard of Perfection in 1874.
- ALBC: Recovery chicken breed status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed
Available February – September
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
Minimums – Not Sexed = 3
Female = 3
Male = 1
Total of 3 birds to ship
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
There is a small order fee ($25.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.