Dark Brahma Chickens are very big, extremely winter hardy and strong. They have fluffy feathering with lots of down. Dark Brahma Chickens are colored in the classic Silver Penciled feather patterning. Male Dark Brahmas have a silvery head, neck, breast, and back. The hens have solid white heads, and black silvery penciling on the neck and over the rest of the body. The Brahmas pea comb, face, and wattles are bright red, and their legs are yellowish. Feathers cover their feet and shanks, keeping them warm in winter. Their docile, gentle, and quiet temperament makes them one of the best breeds around children. They sometimes go broody, and are attentive mothers. They are not the best choice of breed for very hot areas though.
Approx. 180+ Brown Eggs/year | Mature Wt: Male 12# Female 9.5#
- Poultry Show Class: Asiatic Class
- Weights: Hen—–9 1/2 lbs Rooster——12 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Primary production, Egg Laying, Broody Mothers & Pet/Secondary meat source; Exhibition
- Color Egg Shell: Brown
- Egg Production: 180+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium-Large
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 85-90%
- Fertility Percentage: 65-80%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 6 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: Asia
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection in 1924.
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed
Available March – July
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
Minimums – Not Sexed = 3
Female = 3
Male = 1
Total of 3 birds to ship
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
A small order fee ($25.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.