French Black Copper Marans are heritage dual purpose chickens. The Maran breed originates from a town called Marans, France. Its a very winter hardy breed with a docile temperament. They are more athletic and take to foraging and free ranging more often than other breeds. The French Black Copper Marans lay rich, chocolate brown eggs that are a favorite among chefs and farmers alike. They are also an excellent dual-purpose breed, known for their flavorful meat, fast growth, and good size of the males. We carefully breeds this chicken to improve genetic diversity and advance the health of the chicken. Due to the rarity of this breed, limited quantities are available so order yours as soon as possible and contact us to find out when new chicks are available.
Sexing Note: Most of our breeds we can average 90% accuracy on gender sexing. However, with the French Marans breed it is more difficult for the vent sexor to make this determination, so for this breed our Sexing Guarantee is 75% accuracy.
200+ Dark Brown Eggs/Year | Mature Wt: Male 8#, Female 6.5#
- Poultry Show Class: Continental Class
- Weights: Hen—–6 1/2 lbs Rooster——8 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Primary production, Egg Laying & Pet/Secondary meat source
- Color of Egg Shell: Dark Brown #3 to #6 Range on color chart
- Egg Production: Good, 200+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Large
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 75-80%
- Fertility Percentage: 55-70%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 8 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: France
- APA: No
- ALBC: Not Listed
Available February – August
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
Minimums – Not Sexed = 3
Female = 3
Male = 1
Total of 3 birds to ship
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
A additional small order fee ($25.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.