French Wheaten Marans are heritage dual purpose chickens. The Maran breed originates from a town called Marans, France. Its a very winter hardy breed with a docile temperament. They are more athletic and take to foraging and free ranging more often than other breeds. The Wheaten Marans are particularly striking. The roosters are brilliantly colored. Hens are less striking, with subtle yet complex patterning. French Wheaten Marans have feathering up the outside of their legs. Beyond being beautiful additions to the flock, French Wheaten Maran Chickens will also add beautiful, darker brown eggs to your collection.
Sexing Note: Most of our breeds we can average 90% accuracy on gender sexing. However, with the French Marans breed it is more difficult for the vent sexor to make this determination, so for this breed our Sexing Guarantee is 75% accuracy.
200+ Dark Brown Eggs/Year | Mature Wt: Male 8#, Female 6.5#
- Poultry Show Class: Continental Class
- Weights: Hen—–6 1/2 lbs Rooster——8 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Primary production, Egg Laying & Pet/Secondary meat source
- Egg Shell Color: Dark Brown #3 to #6 Range on egg chart
- Egg Production: Good, 200+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Large
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 75-80%
- Fertility Percentage: 55-70%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 8 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: France
- APA: No
- ALBC: Not Listed
Available February – August
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
(Minimum 3 per Sex)
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
There is an additional small order fee ($35.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.