Light Brahma chickens originated in Asia and brought to this country in mid-1800’s. Light Brahma chickens are exceptionally quiet, gentle, friendly, and easy to handle. Their small pea comb, great size, and heavy plumage make them almost immune to cold weather. Brahmas have feathered legs, are good layers of brown eggs and make excellent broody mothers. Brahmas make a good dual-purpose breed and though they may only lay 3 or 4 eggs a week, they are known for good winter production. They thrive in northern climates. Brahmas do good in confinement but even better if they have access to free range. Their gentle and quiet temperament makes them one of the best breeds around children.
Approx. 180-240 Brown Eggs/Year | Mature WT: Males 12#, Females 9 1/2#
- Poultry Show Class: Asiatic Class
- Weights: Hen—–9 1/2 lbs Rooster——12 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Primary production, Egg Laying, Broody Mothers & Pet/Secondary meat source
- Color of Egg Shell: Brown
- Egg Production: 180-240 eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium-Large
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 85-90%
- Fertility Percentage: 65-80%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 8 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: Asia
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the Standard of Perfection in 1874.
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed
Available February – September
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
Minimums – Not Sexed = 3
Female = 3
Male = 1
Total of 3 birds to ship
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
A small order fee ($25.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.