The Mottled Houdan chicken breed was imported from the town Houdan (France) into England around the 1850’s. The Mottled Houdan chicken was introduced to America in 1865 and later in 1874 it was admitted into the American Standard of Perfection. This unique chicken breed has a fifth toe, is an old French breed, has a wide cavernous nostril, a large crested feather head and is a white egg layer. The females are extremely docile and gentle and make good pets. Not particularly a good free range chicken if you have predators because of their top knot that blocks some of their vision. They are known as the “French Hen” and make a great backyard chicken for pets and show.
- Poultry Show Class: Continental Class
- Weights: Hen—–6 1/2 lbs Rooster——8 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Dual, Egg Laying and Meat; Exhibition
- Color of Egg Shell: White
- Egg Production: 150+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Small-Medium
- Temperament: Docile
- Fertility Percentage: 40-55%
- Broody: Setter
- Mating Ratio: 8 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 2 to 4 feet
- Country of Origin: France
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection in 1874.
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed.
Available February – August
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
(Minimum 15 Total chicks)
STRAIGHT RUN ONLY
(Min. 3 Chicks)
We hatch/ship February – September of each season.
In the checkout process, please indicate in the comment section your desired hatch/ship date with desired month or ASAP.
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
FREE Shipping on 15+ Total Poultry
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
There is an additional small order fee ($35.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.