The Red Shoulder Yokohama is most recognized due to their long, flowing tails. Held at nearly a perfect horizontal angle, the Yokohama’s tail is quite a sight to behold. Their combs are fairly small, almost walnut-shaped, and is set forward on the head. They have a red coloration on their shoulders, yet another recognizable aspect of their appearance. The Yokohama breed is a breed best used as a show bird due to their ornate appearance and their poor egg-laying abilities. Red Shoulder Yokohama chicks have red heads and red backs with white stripes. The chest, abdomen and wings are white. They have a walnut comb and clean, yellow legs and feet. In order to keep the tail growing, correct lighting and heat is required, otherwise they will molt the same as other breeds.
- Poultry Show Class: Standard Breed – Oriental
- Weights: Hen: 3 1/2 lbs Rooster: 4 1/2 lb
- Purpose and Type: Ornamental, Show
- Color of Egg Shell: Cream or Tinted
- Egg Production: Fair
- Egg Size: Small
- Temperament: Active
- Broody: Variable
- Country of Origin: Japan
- APA: Yes, Recognized by American Standard of Perfection
- ALBC: Critical status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed.
Please note that our online availability is only updated once a week. We allow you to select a desired hatch week but those dates are NOT guaranteed. Actual ship dates may vary depending on the breeds and quantities selected.