The Silver Lakenvelder is a beautiful, dual purpose bird and a great show bird. You can expect around 150+ medium-sized eggs from each Lakenvelder hen. Lakenvelders tend to be somewhat smaller than breeds raised for meat. Silver Lakenvelders are shy with humans and not aggressive with other chickens. Many owners report that they can be flighty, but that they bear confinement well. They are very active and are great foragers. Silver Lakenvelders were first imported to the US around 1900, but were not included in the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection until 1939 . Their striking coloring helped them become popular exhibition birds at that time. Silver Lakenvelders have bright white feathers on most of their bodies, with black heads, hackles and tails. They have blue legs, red eyes, and medium-sized, single, red combs.
- Poultry Show Class: Continental Class
- Weights: Hen——4 lbs Rooster——5 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Egg Laying; Exhibition
- Color of Egg Shell: Cream or Tinted
- Egg Production: 150+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium
- Temperament: Active/Flighty
- Fertility Percentage: 40-55%
- Broody: Non Setter
- Mating Ratio: 10 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 4+ feet
- Country of Origin: Germany
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection in 1939.
- ALBC: Threatened Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed.
Available February – August
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
(Minimum 15 Total chicks)
STRAIGHT RUN ONLY
(Min. 3 Chicks)
We hatch/ship February – September of each season.
In the checkout process, please indicate in the comment section your desired hatch/ship date with desired month or ASAP.
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
FREE Shipping on 15+ Total Poultry
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
There is an additional small order fee ($35.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.