White Leghorns are good layers of white eggs, laying an average of 280 per year and sometimes reaching 300–320. This breed is very athletic, hardy, non-sitters and lay very nice Large to X-Large White Eggs. They have a good feed-to-egg conversion ratio. This chicken breed is great for free range chicken farming or organic free range chicken eggs.
Leghorns rarely exhibit broodiness and are well suited for uninterrupted egg laying. The Leghorn is a light breed that matures quickly and is not considered a viable meat producer. Leghorns are active and efficient foragers and are one of the best for free range chickens that can avoid predators. However, the white variety of the leghorn might be easily seen by predators. They typically avoid human contact and tend to be nervous and flighty. This is a highly efficient white egg producer doing well in confinement housing. Leghorns have yellow skin. Leghorn cockerels can be used as fryers for the dinner table.
Approx. 260-300 Lg Brown Eggs/Yr | Mature WT: Males 6# & Females 4 1/2#
- Poultry Show Class: Mediterranean Class
- Weights: Hen—–4 1/2 lbs Rooster——6 lbs
- Purpose and Type: Egg Laying; Production
- Color of Egg Shell: White
- Egg Production: 260-300 eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium-Large
- Temperament: Very Active
- Gender Accuracy: 80-85%
- Fertility Percentage: 65-80%
- Broody: Non Setter
- Mating Ratio: 12 Females to 1 Male
- Roost Height: 4 to 8 feet
- Country of Origin: Italy
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the Standard of Perfection in 1874.
- ALBC: Recovering, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed
Available February – September
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail on day of hatch!
(Minimum 3 Each Sex)
Quantity Discount will appear in your cart!
PLEASE REVIEW MINIMUM ORDER RULES & QUANTITIES BELOW
There is a small order fee ($35.00) charged for orders of only 3-14 poultry.